Monday, June 30, 2008

Metroid Ideas

Samus Aran, where will she venture next?

With the Metroid Prime series coming to an end, you may wonder where Nintendo will take Samus next. Will they bring her back to her side-scrolling roots? Or perhaps another Metriod Pinball? Or maybe even something entirely new. Tonight I have thought of two ideas for the next Metroid game. One of them I made up. And a friend of mine thought of the concept for the second, and I added onto it. Enjoy!

My first idea is to bring Metroid back to the classic gameplay: side-scrolling. With just some updated graphics, it'd work great. But I was also thinking of a new control scheme. First off, all Samus' movemement would be controlled via the analog stick on the nunchuk. The biggest and most unique change I had in mind was the shooting. Instead of aiming with the analog sick and L/R buttons like in Super Metroid, you'd have a cursor controlled by the Wii remote IR and whenever you pushed A (or B) it'd shoot there. If you don't get what I'm talking about take a look at the flash game ALIAS (or it's sequals). The aiming in that is pretty much what I'm getting at, just with the Wii remote instead of your mouse. The rest of the controls would be pretty simple, the same as in Metroid Prime 3: A to shoot, B to jump, C for Morph Ball, D-pad for rockets, etc.

Super Metroid

It could either have 3-D graphics and 2-D environments (like New Super Mario Bros.), or like the recently announced Mega Man 9 (for WiiWare) it could rewind time and go back to it's 8- or 16-bit past. This is an extremely cool idea I thought of a while ago, and it would be pretty cool to see it made into a game.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption

My second (well really my friend's) idea is more along the lines of the Prime series. But instead of the "first-person adventure" that the Primes have been, I was thinking more of the FPSs you see on the 360 and PS3. Especially those more built around multiplayer. Medal of Honor: Heroes 2 has already proved how fun 32 player online multiplayer can be on the Wii. And why not that with the Metroid series? But since it'd be online and such, I was thinking of the player not controlling Samus. There could be multiple factions such as the Galactic Federation and the Space Pirates, and the player would control a soldier/pirate from either of the two. There could be several campaigns focusing on the different factions. But overall the main part of the game would be the online. While main characters, such as Samus, would not be playable, maybe they'd have appear for a cut scene/mission or two. Since the Metroid Prime engine worked very well and the visuals were excellent, I don't see why they couldn't just use the same engine again. And I really hope with a game like this, Nintendo would make the online amazing. No friends codes, some form of communication, and zero lag (I'm looking at you Smash Bros.). With all this, it could be the Wii's Halo... maybe.

That rounds up my somewhat short article tonight. What'd you think of my ideas? Leave me a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment